We’ve written extensively about the importance of responsive design (and here, here, and here). Increasingly, it’s not enough to just have a website these days. Businesses are expected to have a website that effortlessly formats for wide range of screens and different devices. Why? Because, as I’m sure you’ve noticed, we’re in the midst of a mobile revolution.
Mobile has now surpassed desktop users. 85% of adults think that a company’s mobile website should be as good or better than their desktop site (Huffington Post) because 67% of users are more likely to make a purchase with a smartphone on a mobile friendly site than on a non-mobile optimized site (Google, Sterling Research and SmithGeigen). Further, 16% of smartphone and tablet users said that if a page loads too slowly or is hard to view on a smaller screen, they give up (Visually). According to a Google Survey from 2013, 48% of users said that if a site didn’t work well on their smartphone, it made them feel like the company didn’t care about their business – now that says a lot.
People are evaluating your business through a 6-inch screen. And if they don’t like what they see, they will go elsewhere. We know, who has the time – or more importantly, the cash flow – to redesign their website? Luckily we’ve been given the gift of WordPress, which is abundant with free and fun responsive templates.
Here are 10 of the best free responsive WordPress themes for 2014.
- SimpleTech – A smart, attractive, and multi-purpose News/Magazine theme. SimpleTech features a rich but uncomplicated administration panel.
- Spacious – Among the most downloaded WP themes of 2014, Spacious offers multiple page layouts as well as six different page templates, and 13 widget areas.
- Vantage – A flexible and multipurpose responsive theme, ideal for ecommerce stores. Vantage is integrated with Page Builder and MetaSlider, and includes a custom background and custom menus.
- Wilson – Puts focus on your content, without sacrificing functionality. The theme features multiple widget areas, custom widgets for videos, and plenty of room to express yourself.
- Simplify – Designed especially for small business, this template is a responsive theme with more than 100 custom options and features.
- Revera – This theme includes a custom homepage template and custom menus, widget-ready areas, portfolio page templates, featured images, customizable ad banner setters, and more.
- Corpo – Clean, simple design packed with tons of features that can work well for any small business
- Flat – Minimalistic… and flat, as its name would suggest. Following modern design trends, this theme offers a clean layout for a straightforward look but it’s not without style.
- Attitude – Clean, responsive, and retina display ready.
- Hemingway – For the artists and bloggers among us, this theme prioritizes images and text. The Hemingway template makes for a stylish look that can be easily customized.