Red Hat, provider of open source solutions, announced Tuesday a new partnership with Zend which would give PHP developers further flexibility and ease of application development in the cloud.
Zend, which calls itself “the PHP Company,” was brought in by Red Hat to help expand their OpenShift Platform.
As part of the expansion, both companies created the Zend Server which is said to provide a professional-grade PHP development and runtime environment with the benefits of OpenShift.
To make application development and management easier, the companies have added to the server: built-in debugging, monitoring and application performance tuning capabilities.
“Today, with the combination of Zend and OpenShift, it is much simpler to deploy and manage PHP applications in the cloud without the hassle of setting up servers and configuring software,” said Ashesh Badani, general manager, Cloud Business Unit and OpenShift, in a statement.
Other benefits provided by the partnership from the release are:
Zend Server for Red Hat OpenShift
- Simple “one-click” deployments to OpenShift of a PHP runtime environment, pre-enabled with the professional-grade performance and management capabilities of Zend Server.
- Allows developers to focus on creating code immediately as the full environment is pre-deployed as ready-to-go, versus having to manage server and software configurations.
- Rock-solid, enterprise-grade, certified PHP stack.
- Code optimization for greater performance: built-in data caching and bytecode acceleration.
- Job queue for performing PHP tasks in parallel to improve application performance and reduce bottlenecks.
- Advanced debugging in the cloud: code tracing capability to quickly pinpoint issues’ root causes without having to recreate them.
Zend Studio with OpenShift integration
- Fully featured Eclipse-based professional IDE is now integrated with OpenShift.
- Zend Studio includes advanced productivity features, including refactoring, code assist and semantic analysis.
- Simple “one-click” deployment to OpenShift of applications created in Zend Studio.
- Makes it easy for teams to collaborate on application development.
- Debug PHP applications directly in OpenShift PaaS.
- Receive real-time alerts on issues.
- Git and SFTP integration.
“Red Hat OpenShift offers developers a compelling combination of languages, frameworks and tools that allows for flexibility in building their applications. In comparison to alternative platforms, OpenShift offers a valuable ecosystem of partnerships that offers developers access to the true OpenShift platform for their development needs,” said Badani.
Currently offered as a free service, OpenShift gives developers a choice of programming languages, frameworks (Zend, Jave EE, Spring, Rails, Play, etc.) and application lifecycle tools to build their applications. In addition, the platform provides built-in support for Node.js, Ruby, Python, PHP, Perl and Java.
“With millions of PHP developers in the world today, it is exciting to be able to collaborate on an offering that combines the power of Zend’s leading tools for PHP developers and our enterprise-grade application server with the flexibility and strong ecosystem of integrated partner solutions that Red Hat is building with the OpenShift platform,” said Zend CEO Andi Gutmans.
Zend Server is currently available for developers through Red Hat OpenShift.