These tips taken from The Xerox Small Business Blog can be helpful, and can take some of the pressure off your shoulders.
- Make time management your first priority – Take a few moments to prioritize your daily action items. The best time for this is either first thing in the morning or the last thing before you leave the office. Use whichever time slot works best for your schedule, but make sure you do it consistently. From your list, do urgent and important tasks first (avoid knocking the ‘easy’ items off the list first!). Create a reminder system. This will help you manage your projects and stay in control.
- Maintain Purpose of Mind – Try to keep the larger purpose in mind when you find yourself following the usual routine. If the purpose is valid, fine. But when routines are losing value or efficiency encourage a better use of the time.
- Give Yourself a Break – If you are locked to a computer, get up and move around at least once an hour to refresh your mind.
- Organization is Key – Being organized doesn’t necessarily mean being neat! An organized person is one who can find what they’re looking for quickly. Maintain a to-do list for your daily tasks and activities. Write down deadline, and emphasize key points.
- Track Your Time – If you can’t figure out where your time goes, try keeping a time tracker. Write down everything you do in the week to identify areas where time is being wasted, and take account of when you are being most productive.