Tech News: Hear Apple Roar With OS X Mountain LionApple recently announced the release of their latest version of Mac operating system, OS X Mountain Lion, 10.8. This is the ninth release in the OS X series following the OS X Lion, 10.8. Apple acknowledged the release during their fiscal 2012 third quarter release, which the company posted quarterly revenue of $35 billion and a quarterly net profit of $8.8 billion. In the earnings report, Apple’s CEO Tim Cook said, “We’re thrilled with record sales of 17 million iPads in the June quarter,” adding, “We’ve also just updated the entire MacBook line, will release Mountain Lion tomorrow and will be launching iOS 6 this fall. We are also looking forward to the amazing new products we’ve got in the pipeline.” The OS X Mountain Lion features more than 200 new features and is available for digital download at a price tag of $19.99. Other features for the new Mac operating system include:
- Notification Center – Consolidates notifications from Messages, Calendar, Mail Reminders and third-party apps in one location.
- System-wide Sharing – Allows users to share links, photos, videos and other files without having to switch from app to the other. With a simple one-time sign on, users have access to Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and Vimeo.
- Dictation – Instead of typing where applicable, users can now use their voice. Dictation works with any app and supports English, French, German and Japanese.
- AirPlay Mirroring – Wirelessly sends up to 1080p secure stream of what’s playing on the Mac to an HD television using Apple TV. In addition, users are able to send audio to a receiver or speakers that use AirPlay.
- Game Center – Whether on a Mac, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, Game Center allows users to enjoy live, multiplayer games on popular social gaming networks from iOS to the Mac.
- Power Nap – Automatically performs Time Machine backups to Time Capsule and downloads OS X software updates while Mac the sleeps.
 Apple Reports Third Quarter Results